- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Place dried mushrooms in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes.
3. Add wine; simmer 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
4. Add 1/4 cup warm water and next 4 ingredients (through cheese rind) to onion mixture. Stir in ground porcini. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes. Keep warm. Remove rind; discard.
5. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
6. Place 1 cup of pasta in each of 6 bowls. Top each portion with 3/4 cup sauce and about 1 tablespoon cheese.