I stumbled on this recipe and the excellent step by step (with pictures) instructions on one of my favorite foodie blogs. It’s called Eat, Live, Run and has lots of great ideas. You can find the link to the info on this recipe here. Can’t wait to check this one out.
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 inch knob ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the butter. Once melted, add the onions and cook for about 15 minutes on medium low heat, or until golden brown.
- Once the onions have caramelized, add the garlic, ginger and jalapeno and stir well. Cook for about two minutes or until it starts to smell like heaven on earth.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne and tumeric and stir well.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas and garam masala.
- Cook for about five minutes or until the chickpeas have heated through.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and top with plain yogurt and cilantro if desired!