This is one of our favorite dishes and I think we’ve made it at least 4 times since Bean has arrived. Although we usually serve it over rice, it’s also really yummy with quinoa if you want to feel even healthier about your meal. We did it this way last night and it was great!
- 2tbs olive oil
- 12 oz tempeh, cut into smallish pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- .75 tsp dried thyme
- .25 tsp dried marjoram
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and brown on all sides (7 to 10 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reheat the same skillet with remaining oil and add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the veggies into a crockpot. Stir in the tomatoes, Tabasco, salt and water. Add thyme and marjoram.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- During the final half hour of cooking, add the browned tempeh. Stir gently to combine.