Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am now officially a full-time homemaker, but I’m feeling fancy. Oh and I found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times site.
- 2 cups medium-bodied red wine, such as Pinot Noir
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (about 1 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 7 oz. sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 4 cups)
- Combine wine, tempeh, onion, carrot, garlic, 1 Tbs. olive oil, herbes de Provence and bay leaf in large bowl. Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Strain vegetables and tempeh, and reserve wine.
- Heat remaining oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and vegetables, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until tempeh cubes are browned on all sides.
- Add vinegar, and quickly stir to coat evenly.
- Add tomato paste, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in red wine marinade, scraping bottom of pot to release any stuck brown bits.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Add water if mixture seems too dry before carrots are fully cooked.
- Add mushrooms and 3/4 cup water, and simmer 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.