I’ve been really excited about soup lately. This is a bit surprising as I have never been a soup person. I always thought soup was boring. During the last few years I’ve realized how much I’ve been missing. Soup is not so boring. But…… it’s hot outside and I still want soup. What to do? Well, cold soup of course. We’ll see how it goes.
- 6 cups roughly chopped seedless watermelon, divided
- 3 cups roughly chopped tomatoes, divided
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put 5 1/2 cups of the watermelon, 2 1/2 cups of the tomatoes, shallots, oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, salt and pepper into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer puree to a fine mesh strainer set over a large bowl and strain puree, pressing as much through as possible; discard solids.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup watermelon, 1/2 cup tomatoes and 2 tablespoons cilantro and toss together in a bowl.
- Pour chilled soup into bowls or glasses and top with watermelon-tomato mixture.